Who Is Eligible for Healthcare Cost-Sharing?
If you’ve heard about the cost-saving benefits of healthcare cost-sharing programs, you may be eager to enroll your family right away! Before you do, use the following information to help you find out if you’re eligible for and likely to benefit from this type of healthcare plan.
Enrollment Requirements for Healthcare Cost-Sharing Programs
Singles, couples, families, and seniors are all eligible for health care cost-sharing. Before you can join a program, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Live as a faithful Christian: All medical cost-sharing participants must be church-going Christians.This helps to ensure that enrolled members share the same core beliefs as they relate to health and medical care. Some ministries even have a process to verify church attendance.
- Agree to take personal responsibility for your health: All health cost-sharing ministries prohibit tobacco and illegal drug use, including federally illegal recreational marijuana. You may also be required to avoid the abuse of legal drugs and alcohol.
- Sign a statement of faith: In addition to abiding by certain health requirements,members may be asked to perform certain faith-promoting activities, such as sharing with those in need and praying daily.
- Avoid hazardous activities: You won’t be denied membership for doing things such as skydiving, bungee jumping, or riding a motorcycle without a helmet, but injuries caused by these activities may not be eligible for cost-sharing.Injuries caused by reckless behavior or alcohol or drug use will also likely be denied coverage.
What about Pre-Existing Conditions?
The rules and definitions of “pre-existing conditions” vary between ministries.Rest assured that membership in a healthcare cost-sharing program is never denied based on the presence of a pre-existing condition. However, there may be limitations on sharing bills related to these conditions.
Often, after a certain amount of time has elapsed since you experienced symptoms, took medication, or sought treatment for a certain medical problem, you can gain eligibility for treatment of that condition should it begin to affect you again. The amount eligible for sharing may increase as time goes by. Contributing faithfully to the cost-sharing program for a few years may also lead the ministry to no longer consider your condition as pre-existing.
Is Healthcare Cost-Sharing Right for Me?
If you are a faithful Christian who takes your health seriously, agrees to the ministry’s statement of faith, and avoids dangerous behaviors, you could be eligible for healthcare cost-sharing. Signing up for this type of program is most likely to benefit you if:
- You and your family are in relatively good health.
- You are self-employed or don’t have access to health insurance coverage through your employer.
- You don’t qualify for government-subsidized health insurance, such as Medicaid.(If you do, a cost-sharing program may deny your membership request or require sharing to be used secondary to government aid programs.)
- You’re interested in feeling a sense of solidarity with other people who share your beliefs.
To learn more about your eligibility for healthcare cost-sharing programs, or to request a free estimate, please contact Christian Health Quotes today. Our certified representatives are here to help you make the best choices for your budget and healthcare needs.